I was originally planning to write my response to this blog post as a comment or email, but I thought my amazing readers might be able to help Johnadamus as well.
He is suffering from a severe case of suicidal depression. On November 10 he is going to start a treatment for it that requires him to remove his glasses. This means that he can’t read or watch a movie during the treatment. It is possible for him to listen to music, though, so he’s asking anyone who can respond to him before November 10 to suggest songs they find motivational.
He’s open to any genre of music. Don’t worry about the possibility of suggesting something that someone else has already mentioned. He’s happy to weed through duplicate answers, he just needs as many ideas as possible.
I’ve already shared my list with him in the comment section on his blog, but I thought I’d also reprint them here.
Be sure to let Johnadamus know what you’d recommend. If you’re interested, I’d also love to know what you find motivating. It’s always fun to find new music. As you can see, I like a little of just about everything.
- Louie Armstrong “What a Wonderful World”
- Beyonce “Run the World”
- Bobbie Boris Pickett “Monster Mash”
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer soundtrack “Something to Sing About”
- Tupac “Keep Ya Head Up”
- Jewel “Hands”
- Judy Garland “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”
- Jay Z “Glory”
- Lana del Ray “Young and Beautiful”
- Avenue Q “If You Were Gay”
- Shawn Stockman “Stand”
- Jubilate Deo (The traditional, Latin song that choirs normally sing)
- Katy Perry “Firework”
- Bob Marley “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”
- Joan Osborne “What if God Was One of Us”
- Alanis Morissette “Thank You”
- Lauryn Hill “Zion”
*Nat King Cole “Smile”
*Wilson Phillips “Hold On”
*Secret Sisters “Tomorrow will be Kinder” from the Hunger Games Soundtrack
*Johnny Cash “Rusty Cage”
*Keith Urban “Days Go By”
*Tom Petty “Learning to Fly”
*U2 “Beautiful Day”
Kelly Clarkson “Stronger”
These are a few that speak to me. I hope the treatment goes well!
Very cool. Thanks.
This playlist is called “Cheer Me Up”.
1. Mac Davis – It’s Hard To Be Humble
2. Stefanie Werger – Mercedes Benz (The original works, too.)
3. 2NU – This Is Ponderous
4. The Bangles – Going Down To Liverpool
5. Aqua – Happy Boys and Girls
6. Animaniacs – I’m Cute
7. Aqua – Roses Are Red
8. BENTFRAME – Star Warz Gangsta Rap
9. The Avalanches – Frontier Psychiatrist
10. Aqua – Barbie Girl
11. The Ataris – My So Called Life
12. Boiled In Lead – Pig Dog Daddy (can’t find this online…)
13. Beatallica – I Want To Choke Your Band
14. Aqua – Cartoon Heroes
15. Animaniacs – The Senses
16. BENTFRAME – Chipmunks With Attitude (This one deserves several trigger warnings, and this video weirdly makes the whole thing less funny to me.)
17. Band of Fools – How can you listen, your head up your ass (Can’t find this one online either…)
18. The Corries – The Bricklayer’s Song
19. Iris and Rose – Johnny Be Fine (Can’t find this version, so here’s Buffy Sainte-Marie instead.)
20. The Ballad of Joxer The Mighty
21. Tom Lehrer – Poisoning Pigeons In The Park
I like it.
I don’t know if he’s open to things that aren’t music, but he does have a link to this post. Hopefully he checks out The Squirrel!Terror audiobook as well. It sounds great to me.
Does it need to be music? The Squirrel!Terror audiobook might make for some good listening:
Personally I love ragtime, especially Scott Joplin (such as The Entertainer or Maple Leaf Rag) as well as Strauss waltzes. I always feel better when listening to them.
I’ve never listened to any ragtime, but I think I’ll start with Scott Joplin.