1. Why do you stop reading the story? Usually I stop because the plot is predictable and/or the characters are flat.
2. Is hand [palm] reading true? No.
3. Are we born skeptical? Of course not! No one is born believing anything, though. Most of the time children grow up sharing the beliefs of their parents or guardians and eventually decide to either continue following what they were taught or (de)convert to something else.
4. What has the Internet destroyed? Nothing.
5. How to get the rotten potato smell out of wood? Cover the area with a thick layer of baking soda and let it sit a few days. Rub more baking soda into the wood for extra deodorizing. Sand and repaint the wood to get rid of the stain.
6. Is it bad to eat one slice of cheesecake a day? Yes.
7. Do we have ethical obligations towards animals? Yes. I reluctantly agree that it’s ok to eat meat but it’s never ok to hunt any creature for sport or inflict needless suffering on them.
8. Why does lighting a candle make smell go away? Combustion.
9. Why do old people act crabby? My theory is that personalities distill over time. Someone who is crabby (or critical, or prejudiced…or generous, loving and kind!) at 30 will behave that way even more at 80. An alternative theory: physical or emotional suffering sometimes changes people for the worse.
10. Can family members be enemies? Yes.
11. What do I miss when feeling nostalgic? A rose-tinted recollection of the past.
12. What happens when the law of attraction doesn’t work? There’s a big difference between magical thinking and being persistant and optimistic. Work hard to achieve your dreams but don’t beat yourself up if they don’t happen right away (or at all). It’s emotionally abusive to hold someone personally responsible for what happens to them as the result of chance or other people’s choices.
13. What happens when one antibiotic doesn’t work? We try another one and hope that it works.
14. What court case is Sing Your Home based on? None. It’s fiction.
15. What’s wrong with doing good for goodness sake? Absolutely nothing. It’s better to do good for the sake of doing good rather than doing it to avoid punishment or earn a reward.
16. Why don’t negative people change? It’s hard to break old habits.
17. How to draw a “chosen family” tree? A few ideas: 1) make a collage of pictures ordrawings of your loved ones. 2) Draw a series of overlapping circles. Write one or two names in each circle. 3) Draw a constellation or garden. Label each star/planet/ flower/tree/bush with the name of a chosen family member.
18. What does fresh air smell like? Pick two of the following and mix them together: sunshine, clouds, crisp night air, sea water, fog, joy.
19. Why does cheesecake give me diarrhea? Possibility #1: you’re lactose intolerant. Possibility #2: you skipped question 6.
20. How to make candles that smell like trash? If you know how (or why 😉 ) one would make garbage-scented candles please tell us about in the comment section.