This was one of those prompts that I was able to rapidly answer. There are so many incredible places to read in this world!
Here are my favourite spots to do so.
1. At home in bed and right before bedtime. It’s a nice way to unwind and get ready to sleep.
2. While sitting on a bench at the park. (This generally doesn’t happen in the damp heat of the summer or the deep chill of the winter, though, for obvious reasons).
3. On a bench at the mall while waiting for my spouse to finish chatting with acquaintances.
4. After ordering at a restaurant.
5. In waiting rooms of any size, especially if I’m a little nervous about the appointment.
6. In an airplane seat after we’ve landed. There are certain portions of the flying experience that I honestly don’t enjoy very much at all, so reading is a lovely distraction while other passengers try to be the first ones off the plane. It’s more relaxing to walk off the plane without all of that jostling anyways.
7. With small children who enjoy having the grownups in their lives read aloud to them.
8. While waiting for the ferry to and from the Toronto Islands. I like to look around at the beautiful Lake Ontario scenery when I’m actually on the ferry, but the wait to board it is generally long enough to get at least a chapter or two of reading time in.
9. When I’m peopled out. That is to say, I’m deeply introverted and also a little socially anxious at times. I love socializing, but there does come a time when I need to be alone and recharge. Reading is one of the ways I do exactly that.
10. In quiet reading rooms. My local libraries honestly aren’t all that quiet most of the time, but I have found a few other quiet places to read as well as figured out the best branches and times to try the library if other options don’t work out well.