1. Mainstream authors would be welcome, too, but I’d put a special focus on inviting indie authors so everyone could have the chance to discuss books they might never have otherwise heard of.
2. A dance floor and a DJ.
3. Charcuterie boards that have plenty of food and drink options for every diet out there.
4. A fog machine. See also: the dance floor and DJ.
5. A quiet room for people who need it for a moment to catch their breath or text someone.
6. Free t-shirts, mugs, tote bags, pens, and other swag with bookish quotes on them for anyone who wanted one.
7. An Instagram page where everyone can upload their photos of this event if they’re interested.
8. Reenactments of funny or memorable scenes from stories. They could be contests or done as people thought of something they wanted to share. I’d probably pick the scene in Harry Potter where he and Ron crashed a flying car into a Whomping Willow.
9. Mistletoe. Do you have to use it? Of course not! But everyone should have the option of getting a kiss in a fun way if their partner consents.
10.A bookish party app to help plan this event and make sure it runs smoothly. There would be an optional feature on it that would give partygoers a chance to give feedback on what they liked and what they’d hope to see done differently in the future.
Because I’d totally want to throw more of these parties in the future.