My friend Jenna recently participated in this Internet meme. On the Other Hand has been so seriously lately that I thought it would be good to inject some silliness into the conversation.
1. On foggy days like today I pretend that The Mist is nonfiction and try to figure out how best to protect my apartment from (spoiler alert!) otherworldly creatures. I can neither confirm nor deny that my strategies for self-preservation in this situation have only grown more elaborate over the years.
2. If I never eat turkey again I wouldn’t be disappointed. I know it’s the traditional main course for Thanksgiving but it’s such a dry and flavourless dish. We should either eat a meat-free dinner that day or substitute a delicious option like ham.
3. Steampunk irritates me and I don’t know why.
4. When I was very young I thought that humans weren’t physiologically capable of seeing the moon during the day. For some reason I was able to see it but for years pretended that I, too, could not see anything moon-shaped in the sky when the sun was shining. I didn’t know what would happen to me if anyone found out that I had this ability but I decided not to take any chances. Drew heard this story a while ago, thought it was charming and hilarious and every so often will test my “superpower.” Of course I deny everything. 😉
5. I have a birthmark on my back and left shoulder. The skin on these areas of my body is a few shades darker than it is on the rest of me. Some of my relatives have olive-coloured skin, others are quite pale. It’s fascinating to see all of those genes expressed on the same person.
Feel free to share your list in the comments or leave a link to your own blog post on this topic.