Top Ten Tuesday: Nonfiction Books on My Winter 2020-2021 TBR

Hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl

distressed yellow page from a scrapbookAs I’ve mentioned in previous posts, winter is a time when I read much more nonfiction than usual. Here are some of the nonfiction books I’m hoping to check out before spring arrives.

 

Even Better Brownies: 50 Standout Bar Recipes for Every Occasion by Mike Johnson

Release Date: Already released

Why I Want to Read It: 90% of my diet is based on whole foods and quite healthy. The other 10% is decadent by design.

 

A Promised Land by Barack Obama

Release Date: Already released

Why I Want to Read It: I’ve enjoyed all of the previous books President Obama has written and look forward to reading about his memories from the White House.

 

It’s Never Too Late: Make the Next Act of Your Life the Best Act of Your Life by Kathie Lee Gifford and Dolly Parton

Release Date: Already released

Why I Want to Read It: The subject matter is relevant to my life (and to the lives of many other people this year!)

 

Feline Philosophy: Cats and the Meaning of Life
by John N. Gray

Release Date: Already released.

Why I Want to Read It: I enjoy reading light-hearted philosophy books like this on occasion.

 

The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Beginners: Meal Plans, Expert Guidance, and 100 Recipes to Get You Started by Elena Paravantes

Release Date: December 29

Why I Want to Read It: I’m always on the lookout for new recipes for the healthy 90% of my diet I referenced earlier.

 

Exercised: Why Something We Never Evolved to Do Is Healthy and Rewarding by Daniel Lieberman

Release Date: January 5

Why I Want to Read It: For many years, I was one of those people who genuinely hated exercise due to negative experiences with it in gym class as a kid and a lifelong disinterest in  team sports. I love the idea of reframing exercise in ways that get people like me to enjoy it. That’s something that should be emphasized much more heavily for all age groups and ability levels.

 

A Swim in a Pond in the Rain: In Which Four Russians Give a Master Class on Writing, Reading, and Life by George Saunders

Release Date: January 12

Why I Want to Read It: Writing is one of those topics I could talk and read about all day without growing tired of it. There’s so much to say!

 

The Extraction State: A History of Natural Gas in America by Charles Blanchard

Release Date: January 12

Why I Want to Read It: This is one of those ubiquitous parts of life I’d never think to write about but suddenly find myself interested in reading about.

 

Four Hundred Souls: A Community History of African America, 1619-2019 by Ibram X. Kendi and Keisha N. Blain

Release Date: February 2

Why I Want to Read It: I’m always interested in reading portions of history that either weren’t covered in traditional history courses or were only given a cursory overview. There’s no such thing as having too many details about the past in my opinion.

 

Things I Learned From Falling by Claire Nelson

Release Date: March 5

Why I Want to Read It: Getting seriously hurt while camping or hiking far away from home is something that frightens me. Claire survived this scenario, so it will be interesting to read her account of how she got hurt and how she made it to safety.

 

 

 

123 Responses to Top Ten Tuesday: Nonfiction Books on My Winter 2020-2021 TBR

  1. Nice variety of reading! I’ll sample all the food for you as you make it 😁. Check out a book sometime called “Where are the Customers Yachts?” It’s a humorous take on finances, investors, and the 1929 stock market crash.

  2. “ The other 10% is decadent by design.” this made me laugh. Me too! Baking is one of the best parts of winter I think!

    I like how more nonfiction at this time of year. My reading tends to be a bit all over the place as I try to complete the goals I’d set myself! The feline philosophy book sounds very intriguing!

  3. I’m really excited about the recipe books you’ve included. Even Better Brownies sounds amazing; I love to indulge in a decadent treat too! 🙂

    Great list!

  4. Wow, that brownie book looks good! I’m also interested in the books on Mediterranean diet and exercising, both things I already do but want to do more. I also was traumatized by gym class as a kid, and as an adult, it’s amazing to see how many better non-shaming ways there are to do exercise.

    • I’m sorry you had traumatizing experiences in gym class, too. That is so common. There must be a better way to teach kids how to exercise and why they should do it.

      I hope you enjoy all three of those books.

  5. I am very, very excited to read A Promised Land. Barack is such an intelligent and thoughtful person; The Audacity of Hope really changed the way I thought about the U.S. and our politics, I’m looking forward to his memoir changing how I think about the job of POTUS, as well.

    Feline Philosophy also sounds lovely, though sometimes I feel like cats are to disinterested to ponder big questions.

    Happy Tuesday! A great least, as is your usual!

    • Aww, thanks, Jessica!

      I wonder what cats would be interested in pondering? Maybe something as simple as their next meal or nap.

      And I feel the same way about Barack’s writing style.

  6. I love how you included why you want to read each item. I have to say, Even Better Brownies sounds wonderful. I love anything sweet!

    I hope you have a great week and happy reading! And thank you for stopping by HerBookishDesires!:)

  7. It sounds like these are some great picks! I also want to read A Promised Land, and I’m curious to see what you think of Exercised. I can’t say I was traumatized by gym class exactly, but my experience there definitely did not make a sports/exercise fan out of me. I could use some help in that area also.

  8. ” 90% of my diet is based on whole foods and quite healthy. The other 10% is decadent by design.” Haha that’s a good reason! 🙂

    The Mediterranean Diet one has me interested too…

  9. Nice list, Lydia. I used to only read nonfiction for years. Mike Johnson, the Gifford/Parton book, and the Mediterranean diet books all sound good to me. I hope you enjoy them all.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today.

  10. Great list, Lydia! I’m not much of a non-fiction reader (although I try to do at least one or two books per year) but some of these sound really interesting, especially Four Hundred Souls and of course, Obama’s book! I hope you enjoy all of them 🙂

  11. A Swim in a Pond in the Rain sounds interesting! I always love reading writing books, whether it’s more memoir style like Stephen King’s book or more about the technical aspect of it, there’s always something you can get out of them!

  12. Four Hundred Souls looks good. I always enjoy Kendi’s work. Feline philosophy! I remember hearing about it when it first came out. I need to add it to the top of the pile. Good luck with your reading this winter!

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.